Friday, January 05, 2007

Jan 2 - Monday bloody Monday!

I saw Sylwia off on her flight at 12:00 and the plan was to get onto the motorway that was right next to the airport. Shouldn't be a difficult task really??? I prepare a sign for Venezia and stand just outside the airport, hopefully someone is going!! I intend to hitchhike to Ljubljana, I have hosts there and in Pecs, then in Romania, Bulgaria and even in Istanbul. Should be a good week.

That was in theory though and what was going to happen was a bit unexpected!! After waiting 2 hours, I get bored and walk up to the beginning of the highway, I wait there in the sun for 1 hour and get my cheeks red (face not ass), traffic is too fast and it doesn't look as though somoene is going to stop any time soon. I take a look at my map (a Europe map which can't always be trusted, big roads look small, small roads look big and places are not always where they look like they are!).. I began looking for an alternative route and it looked like I had one.. I'll head to Bolzano and then pop into Austria, going to Lienz, Spittal, Villach and down to Ljubljana, should be ok I think!! Or perhaps not?! I walk through Bergamo for about 6km and visit the bank machine and the shop, stocking up on supplies for the journey ahead (bread, cheese, mini pizza and some water).. at the edge of Bergamo, Seriate starts. Seriate was a nice looking town and I enjoyed walking through it, I began hitching from the outskirts. An hour passed and still no luck, I was just getting irritated by annoying Italians on their scooters beeping at me. I walked up through Albano Sant Alessandro, all the time hitching.. to no avail. After 18km of walking from the airport, I was at a junction in the road where there had been a car crash and managed to get to a ride up along the northern shores of Lago d'Iseo (stunning at night) to Pian Camuno.

A car picked me up from Pian Cammuno and took me back to the main road but further up, the traffic was going too fast and it was too dark for them to see me, so I tried my luck at the beginning of the road. After waiting for quite a while, no luck - fucking Italians are pissing me right off!! The previous driver had told me that there was a mini train going up the valley to Edolo.. on my map this looked like a town on the main road to Bolzano and looked like a good option. I asked a man who was faffing about with a hose pipe where the station was and surprisingly he took me to Darfo in his car and to the station.

20.30: I board the train for Edolo, it's not busy - just 5 other people in fact. The conductor explains to me that I'll have to get off at Breno, since we're going by bus.. there's something wrong with the train line further up the track. For the last 20km of the journey, I was the only person on the bus.

Tried hitching out of Edolo but there were no cars at all, I ask at a Pizza place if I can sleep there but he turns me down, and tells me to go to the Piazza, apparently there are hotels there. Hmm, sounds expensive. The train station is closed, and Edolo (in a beautiful location in the mountains).. is fucking freezing. Eventually I find the main square and I stay there at the cheapest hotel, not as cheap as I'd like mind.. and the "breakfast" simply consisted of stale bread and nothing else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home