Sunday, June 25, 2006

Kinga Freespirit Funeral

In the last few weeks, Kinga Freespirit.. probably the most-well known (and deservedly) hitchhiker contracted cerebral Malaria in Ghana, cerebral malaria is a terrible disease with a high fatality rate, unfortunately a few days later she died. I was trying to collect funds here in Warsaw, some people gave money but generally I was a bit disappointed and classed my fund-raising efforts as a bit of a failure.

Her friends and family are now setting up a foundation which will continue some of the work that Kinga started and donations are wanted, so please contact me for more details.

On Friday evening, I travelled up to Gdansk by hitchhiking.. it took about 6 hours, the traffic was heavy, there was a 10km queue after a crash and the police asked us to leave the "droga expresowa".. hmm none of the police have ever asked me to do that before here.. bizarre? I was hitching with my friend Martyna and they wanted 200zl from both of us, so we opted for the "we will disappear and you will never see us again" choice.

Kinga's memorial service took place on Saturday 24th June at 10.00am, it was in a massive church in the old town of Gdansk, it was my first funeral experience.. (actually about the second time I've ever been in a church), many good-looking people attended, from all different kinds of backgrounds, ethnicity and countries. Some people were there who had not met her and some journalists were there. Taxis were provided for everybody from the church to the cemetery. Overall the funeral was a very sad affair but there were inspiring parts and it was great to see lots of people there.. I am a bit disappointed in the local HC members though, where were you guys?

I didn't know her very well to be honest but there was a time when she was hosting many members in Gdansk and I was hosting in Warsaw and we swapped guests. We'd also talked about hitching in Africa, mainly Gambia and down towards Ghana (but I didn't make it because I was too ill to leave Berlin and had to return to Poland). It's quite sad that I didn't know her better as she was a good and interesting person.

You can read more here... www.kingafreespirit.pl and www.ledbydestiny.com

We were then invited to the wake by Chopin and her mother, amazing vegetarian food and good company. After that myself and Martyna hitched back from Gdansk in 4.5hours.. Jason (who has grown his hair and shaved off his beard, barely recognisable) and Magda (who hopefully won't grow a ginger beard) took the train which was 5.5hrs, plus they had to pay for it ;-), haha we win!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home