Friday, July 07, 2006

Nothing's gonna change my clothes

As some people will know - particuarly my hosts, up until now I have been travelling without underwear. I left it in Poland for some reason, so I've been wearing swimming shorts and washing them everyday. Well in Belgrade, I finally opted to invest in some boxers, they're a bit small though!!

Didn't leave immediately to Nis because by the time I got ready to hitch it was getting a bit late. Myself and Knedlik managed to find a new host. A girl called Branka who was avidly supporting Italy against Germany. To be honest, I dislike both teams so had to wait for them both to get knocked out. I'm supporting France!!

Anyway, it was a nice evening but the next day was a difficult hitch from Beograd, I had to walk about 20km up the highway to the toll and there the police were stopping all the cars for themselves and hitchhiking to another town. Bastards! There were 2 other guys hitching and a car stopped for one of them and took me also. A Macedonian/Bulgarian./Serbian guy who smuggles 400+ packets of cigarettes across the border in his car. Quite a friendly fella though and he dropped me off in Nis.

Nis, is quite cool - pretty small but you can see normal people their compared to the usual over-dressed Belgrade bunch. Spent a nice evening down by the river, drinking beer and talking to some Serbian guys from HC.. aswell as this bizarre romanian guy who spoke about 10 languages.

Hitching out of Nis was bloody difficult, in fact I couldn't wait to leave Serbia just because the hitching was a pain in the arse. Waited over 4 hours in the direct sun but was finally rewarded with a lift from a Swiss couple in an old campervan.. they were driving to China overland through Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran, pakistan, India and Nepal. Amazingly cool people, we had to wait for 3 hours a the border, the queue was quite big (well about 10km for trucks)... insane cigarette smuggling going on, everybody selotaping them all around their legs and stomachs etc.

The last hour was wating for the border guards to change shifts, god knows what they were doing but it took them forever.

Now I'm in Sofia.. I love this city, it's one of the best in Europe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home