Monday, July 10, 2006

Sofia and Rousse

I had a great time in Sofia, as I said before it is one of my favourite cities. My hosts Mitko and Nadia were quality people, Mitko possibly one of the funniest guys I ever met.

"I am from a different country, we don't shout yeah yeah like stupid girls.. we sit proudly and make VAAAAAAAAA"

Anyway.. did a little sightseeing in the city with two other hungarian guests, bought a shit load of dictionaries and continued the standard evening at their place.. which involves lots of cheese and amazing food, some Rakija, some beer, some weed and lots of good music. The next day we spent in the nearby mountains, messing around in the snow and cleaning rubbish from the hiking paths.

Every day in Sofia was filled with lots of fun, I highly recommend everyone to go there and in particular to stay with Mitko and Nadia!!

Hitching out was a hell of a job, it seemed as though I had the perfect instructions to get to a hitching spot on the road to Pleven, Rousse and Varna. I have no idea what happened but I found myself in totally the wrong place by the road to Skopje and Thessaloniki.. I'd been buying bus tickets for the majority of my time in Sofia but had decided to hop on to a bus that was running round the ring road. Sure enough, a ticket control guy came - I was surprised, he was an old guy and not the standard bulldogs that you get in Poland.. I gave him a ticket that had already been used, he checked it and found that it wasn't the same, he asked for money.. I shrugged my shoulders and acted stupid (I kept a good position next to the door and just had to keep him talking until the bus stopped).. sure enough the bus stopped and I ran out of the door. He wasn't too eager to chase, in less than a minute later.. I hitchhiked a police car! I continued to hitch round the ring road which was taking quite a long time and the rain was heavy. Eventually a car took me to the correct place.

One more ride 50-60km up the road and there I had a two hour wait, some old woman was hitchhiking with a baby.. I was later told by the driver that stopped for me that she is always there and when a car stops for her, she gets in and starts screaming at them to give her money. The dude took me to Veliko Tarnovo and after that 3 more rides to Rousse.. just in time for about 20:30.

Now what to say about Rousse?? Well, it's famous for the border zone which is filled with ugly looking prostitutes, the architecture in the suburbs is less than inspiring but the city centre is very nice and the border guards are bastards!!

Apparently.. no walking over the border between Rousse and Giurgiu (romania), the trucks are not allowed to take me, the cars won't stop for the fear of me being an alien, the only way across is by bus or train.. which are twice a day or by taxi.. I enquire about how much the taxi costs, after all it's only 1km, it can't be much... 20 euros! 20 fucking euros? What?! Apparently they pay most of that back to the border guards in taxes.

Well, I'm not paying anything towards this particular border... I'll try from the Silistra/Calarasi border as I know that one well.

Anyway, I'm trying to get back before the weekend and have no time to stop in Bucharest now, so it's a direct hitch to Iasi.. we'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home